Historic Homes and Museums


Abbe Museum, 26 Mount Desert St., May 1 – Oct. 31, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily. Admission. Abbe at Sieur de Monts 288-3519, www. abbemuseum.org.

Bar Harbor Historical Society Museum, 33 Ledgelawn Ave., mid-June -Oct., Mon.-Fri. 1-4 p.m. except holidays. Free. 2883807 or 288-0000, www. barharborhistorical.org.

Davistown Museum & Sculpture Gardens, Breakneck Road entrance to Acadia National Park. Free. 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily, April through November. 2885126 or 589-4900. www. davistownmuseum.org.

George B. Dorr Museum of Natural History, College of the Atlantic, Rte. 3, 105 Eden St., open yearround. Admission. 2885395 or 288-5015, www. coa.edu.


Holt House, home of the Blue Hill Historical Society, Water St. Free. 374-9933. www.bluehillhistory.org.

Jonathan Fisher House, 44 Mines Rd., Rte. 15 South, ¾ mile from Blue Hill village. July 1-Labor Day, Donation. 374-2459, www. jonathanfisherhouse.org.


Brooklin Keeping Society, 23 Bay Rd. Year-round, Tues. 1-4 p.m. Free. 359- 8880.


Castine Historical Society, exhibits, 17 School St.Free. 326-4118, www. castinehistoricalsociety.org.

Wilson Museum, artifacts and exhibits, 120 Perkins St. Free. 326-9247, www. wilsonmuseum.org.


Cherryfield-Narraguagus Historical Society, 88 River Rd. Free. 546-2076 or 546-7937.


Ruggles House, ca. 1818, home of Judge Thomas Ruggles, 146 Main St. Admission. 483-4637, www.ruggleshouse. org.


Great Cranberry Island Historical Museum, Cranberry House, 1/3 mile from dock. Free. 244-7800, Also the legend of Rachel Field’s Hitty, a cafe and a public trail. www.gcihs.org.

Islesford Historical Museum, Little Cranberry Island, Free. 244-9224, www.nps.gov/acad.


Salome Sellers House (restored period house, 1830), 416 Sunset Rd., Rte. 15A, Sunset, June 22Free. www.dis-historicalsociety. org. 348-6400.


Quoddy Maritime Museum, corner of Water and Boynton streets, Free. 853- 4297.


Birdsacre Wildlife Sanctuary, Rte. 3, 289 High St., June-Sept., daily 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 667-8460. Donation. www.birdsacre.com.

Old Hancock County Jail, home of Ellsworth Historical Society. State Street, July and Aug., Thurs. and Sat. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. or by appointment. Donation. 667-5716.

Woodlawn Museum, Rte. 172 (Surry Road) ¼ mile from downtown Ellsworth. Croquet court. Admission. Adjacent fields and trails open, sunrise to sunset, picnics welcome, free. 6678671, www.woodlawnmuseum. org.

The Ellsworth Historical Society, 40 State St., 667-8235, 667-5716, www.ellsworthme.org/ellshistory.

The Telephone Museum, 166 Winkumpaugh Rd., 667-9491, www.thetelephonemuseum. org.


Franklin Historical Society Museum and Post Office, 249 Hog Bay Road, Rte. 200, July-Labor Day, Sat. 2-4 p.m., or by appointment. Free, donations welcome. 565-2223 or 565-3349.


Gouldsboro Historical Society Museum (The Old Townhouse 1884), 452 Rte. 1, West Gouldsboro. 963-7115. Free admission, donations accepted.


Lubec Historical Society/ Museum, 135 Main Street, Old Columbian Packing Store, 733-2994. www.lubechistoricalsociety. com.


Burnham Tavern Museum, 14 Colonial Way. Admission. National Register of Historic Places. 2556930, www.burnhamtavern. com.


Fort O’Brien State Historic Site, Rte. 92 (directly behind Fort O’Brien Elementary School). 344 Port Rd. (Rte. 92) 255-8461.

The Gates House Museum, Machiasport Historical Society, 344 Port Rd., (Rte. 92), Admission free, donations appreciated. 255-8461, www.gateshouse. org & on Facebook.


Milbridge Historical Museum, 83 So. Main St., Free. 546-7812 or 5467046, www.milbridgehistoricalsociety. org.


Mount Desert Island Historical Society, Somesville Museum and Selectmen’s Building, Main St. & Oak Hill Rd., Somesville. 244-5043. The Old School House & Museum, 373 Sound Dr., Mon.-Fri., every day, yearround. 276-9323.

Maine Granite Historical Society, 62 Beech Hill Cross Road, Somesville. Free. 244-7299.


The Great Harbor Maritime Museum, 124 Main St. (in the Old

Firehouse), seasonal. Free, small suggested donation. 276-5262.


Craig Brook National Fish Hatchery and Visitor Center, 306 Hatchery Rd. . 469-6701, ext. 215, www. fws.gov/northeast/maine fisheries.

The Atlantic Salmon Museum at Craig Brook National Fish Hatchery, 306 Hatchery Road, 1.3 miles off Route 1. 4696701, ext. 215. www.fws. gov/northeast/mainefisheries.


Fort Knox Civil War-era historic site, 711 Fort Knox Rd., west of Waldo-Hancock Bridge and Penobscot Narrows Observatory on U.S. Rte. 1. May 1-Nov. 1, daily 8:30 a.m.-sunset. Admission. 469-6553, www. fortknox.maineguide.com.


Seal Cove Auto Museum, 1414 Tremont Rd. Through Oct. 31. Admission. 2449242, www.sealcoveautomuseum. org.

This 1941 Pontiac Silver Streak Woody has a new clutch, refurbished suspension and other repairs. It’s just one of more than 50 vintage vehicles on view at the Seal Cove Auto Museum on Mount Desert Island. Located in the Tremont village of Seal Cove, the museum specializes in Brass Era cars. Open daily from 10 a.m.
to 5 p.m., the museum is located at 1414 Tremont Road. Admission costs $10 per adult, $8 per senior (62 and over) and is free for 18 and younger. For more info, call 244-9242 and visit sealcoveautomuseum.org. SEAL COVE AUTO MUSEUM PHOTO


Sedgwick-Brooklin Historical Society, Route 172, 575 North Sedgwick Rd. 3598086.


Wendell Gilley Museum of Bird Carving, 4 Herrick Rd., Admission. 244-7555, www.wendellgilleymuseum. org.


Granite Museum, 51 Main St. Call for in-season hours. Free. 367-6331.


Sullivan-Sorrento Historical Society, Sorrento- Sullivan Recreation Center, U.S. Hwy 1, West Sullivan, Tues. 1-3 p.m. Free. 422-6816.


Burnt Coat Harbor Light, Hockamock Head. Visit the keeper’s house and tower, with a historic exhibit and small art gallery. Also, 1.8 miles of trails with access to two beaches. Check www.burntcoatharborlight. com for information on how to visit or call the keeper’s house at 526-4025.

Lobster & Marine Museum, by appointment. 5264423 or 526-4282. Late June-August.


Country Store Museum Tremont Historical Society, 4 Granville Rd., Bass Harbor. 244-9753.


Winter Harbor Historical Society, Hammond Lane, Sat. 1-4 p.m., winterharborhistory@ gmail.com.